Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Tribute to My Teachers

When I started school in Lovington NM, My Teachers were always positive and always told us that we could accomplish anything as long as we put our mind into it. For this I am grateful to them and respect them dearly. When I moved to T or C NM, was when I had my first encounter of how a teacher could influence a child in a negative manner. When I started my 6th grade year I had some of the same teachers that my father had and since my name was the same as my fathers I was told oh no not another Joe Baca. This of course turned me from being a straight A well behaved student to being an unruly failing student just by the way I was treated. However I then realized that even though I was being told I would never make anything of myself and that I would be just like my father that I had a choice to make I could do as they were saying or prove them all wrong. These such Teachers have since gone and retired but to them I am grateful as well because they made me want to try and work even harder in school to prove to them that just because we are born to certain parents that we are not them and we should not be judged by them either. I did however have excellent teachers throughout school and I was most influenced by my History Teachers who always told me that it was OK to make mistakes and that is why we study history was so that we would not make the same mistake twice. This is why I chose to one day become a History teacher to not only teach a student History of a nation or cultures but to also teach them that we all make mistakes but that as long as we learn from them then it will all work out. I would like to thank all of my History Teachers throughout my school years for always believing in me.

1 comment:

Debra Dirksen said...

Sometimes our greatest teachers are those who tell us we can't! Especially when we have the temperment to want to change their minds.